This downtown Farmington postcard was taken in 1948 and mailed in 1951. The brick building with double front windows, still standing at the east side of The Village Mall on Grand River, was Mac’s Five and Dime. The little white barber shop, just to the right, is now Bead Bohemia. The Kroger, at left, is now The Rocking Horse embroidery shop.
See the then-and-now slider here.
Historic photo from the collections of Les Newcomer. Contemporary photo by Les Newcomer.
VINTAGE POINT is Preservation Farmington’s photo column, featuring an exclusive focus on Farmington history: a look at our city through the lens of time. Look for Vintage Point every other week in the Farmington Observer and Farmington Voice and on our Facebook and Twitter pages. We also keep an archive of all past issues on our website under the Vintage Point tab.