Tag Archives: Grand River

VINTAGE POINT: Grand River, south side

This downtown Farmington postcard was taken in 1948 and mailed in 1951. The brick building with double front windows, still standing at the east side of The Village Mall on Grand River, was Mac’s Five and Dime. The little white … Continue reading

Posted in Vintage Point | Tagged , , , , , | Leave a comment

VINTAGE POINT: Grand River residential

This historic house stands at 33712 Grand River, just west of Cass in downtown Farmington. It was built in 1920. Historic photo from the Farmington Community Library Heritage Room. Contemporary photo by Maria Taylor. VINTAGE POINT is Preservation Farmington’s photo … Continue reading

Posted in Vintage Point | Tagged , , , , , , | Leave a comment

VINTAGE POINT: Grand River & Grove

In the early 1900s, residential houses occupied much of what is now retail space in downtown Farmington–like Dress Barn at Grand River and Grove. Historic photo from the Farmington Community Library Heritage Room. Contemporary photo by Maria Taylor. VINTAGE POINT … Continue reading

Posted in Vintage Point | Tagged , , , , , , | Leave a comment

VINTAGE POINT: Botsford Inn

Farmington Hills’ historic Botsford Inn was built in 1836. Henry Ford bought it in 1924 and moved it back from the road, where it still stands today, surrounded by the Beaumont Hospital complex at Grand River and Eight Mile. Historic … Continue reading

Posted in Vintage Point | Tagged , , , , , , | Leave a comment

VINTAGE POINT: Grand River gas station

1930s Farmington had a Hi-Speed gas station at Grand River and Grace (33604 Grand River Avenue), across from Thayer-Rock Funeral Home. Today, it’s Acosta Sales & Marketing. See the then-and-now slider here. Historic photo courtesy of Michael Legg (thank you, … Continue reading

Posted in Vintage Point | Tagged , , , , , , | Leave a comment

VINTAGE POINT: Owen House hotel

In the early 1900s, the Owen House hotel stood at the site of The Village Mall, at the southeast corner of Grand River and Farmington. Rates were $1.50/day with a special Sunday dinner for 25 cents. See the then-and-now slider … Continue reading

Posted in Vintage Point | Tagged , , , , , , , , , | Leave a comment

VINTAGE POINT: Farmington From Above

In 1930s Farmington, much of the area outside the immediate downtown–like the neighborhood between Grand River (at center) and Freedom–was still open land. See the then-and-now slider here. Historic photo from Brian Golden/Heritage & History Center. Contemporary image from Bing.com … Continue reading

Posted in Vintage Point | Tagged , , , , , , | Leave a comment

VINTAGE POINT: Old Town Hall

A hundred years ago, the Masonic Lodge (23715 Farmington Road) doubled as Farmington Township Hall. It also hosted talent shows, lectures, Eastern Star dances, political meetings, and basketball games—although some council members thought the games shouldn’t be allowed, as the … Continue reading

Posted in Vintage Point | Tagged , , , , , , , , , , | Leave a comment

VINTAGE POINT: Farmington State Savings Bank

Farmington State Savings Bank (now the Village Mall) opened at Grand River and Farmington Road on March 18, 1922. The lobby was marble and walnut, and the vault door weighed more than 10,000 pounds. See the then-and-now slider here. Historic … Continue reading

Posted in Vintage Point | Tagged , , , , , , , | Leave a comment

VINTAGE POINT: Doc’s office/Los Tres Amigos

This house, now demolished, at the site of Los Tres Amigos (33200 Grand River) was once the offices of Drs. E.F. Holcomb, Joseph Norton, and Maynard Whitehead, per a note in the Farmington Community Library Heritage Room’s digital archives. See … Continue reading

Posted in Vintage Point | Tagged , , , , , , , , , , | Leave a comment