Author Archives: Maria Taylor

VINTAGE POINT: Victorian house on Shiawassee

A note on this photo from the Heritage Room archives tells us this Victorian house, once located just west of the Baptist church on Shiawassee, was built in the 1870s by Fred Staman and demolished in the early ‘60s. Historic … Continue reading

Posted in Uncategorized | Leave a comment

VINTAGE POINT: Grand River orphanage

This three-story brick building once stood outside downtown Farmington at 34700 Grand River, just west of Oakwood Cemetery and the Hitachi drainage pond. It was built in 1922 by the Methodist Children’s Home Society and was directed by a Miss … Continue reading

Posted in Vintage Point | Tagged , , , , , , , , | Leave a comment

VINTAGE POINT: Lumber yard

Some hundred years ago, you could buy lumber and coal at the Amos Otis lumber yard, located at the site of what is now Bellacino’s on the north side of Grand River. See the then-and-now slider here. Historic photo from … Continue reading

Posted in Vintage Point | Tagged , , , , , , , , | 2 Comments

VINTAGE POINT: Grand River, south side

This downtown Farmington postcard was taken in 1948 and mailed in 1951. The brick building with double front windows, still standing at the east side of The Village Mall on Grand River, was Mac’s Five and Dime. The little white … Continue reading

Posted in Vintage Point | Tagged , , , , , | Leave a comment

VINTAGE POINT: Grand River residential

This historic house stands at 33712 Grand River, just west of Cass in downtown Farmington. It was built in 1920. Historic photo from the Farmington Community Library Heritage Room. Contemporary photo by Maria Taylor. VINTAGE POINT is Preservation Farmington’s photo … Continue reading

Posted in Vintage Point | Tagged , , , , , , | Leave a comment

VINTAGE POINT: Grand River & Grove

In the early 1900s, residential houses occupied much of what is now retail space in downtown Farmington–like Dress Barn at Grand River and Grove. Historic photo from the Farmington Community Library Heritage Room. Contemporary photo by Maria Taylor. VINTAGE POINT … Continue reading

Posted in Vintage Point | Tagged , , , , , , | Leave a comment

VINTAGE POINT: Botsford Inn

Farmington Hills’ historic Botsford Inn was built in 1836. Henry Ford bought it in 1924 and moved it back from the road, where it still stands today, surrounded by the Beaumont Hospital complex at Grand River and Eight Mile. Historic … Continue reading

Posted in Vintage Point | Tagged , , , , , , | Leave a comment

VINTAGE POINT: Quaker meetinghouse

This home at 34196 State Street, one lot south of the Quaker cemetery on Gill, was once the site of an 1832 Quaker meetinghouse. Subsequent owners built around it rather than tear it down; in the top photo (1957), you … Continue reading

Posted in Uncategorized | 3 Comments

VINTAGE POINT: 33430 Shiawassee

This house at 33430 Shiawassee, no longer standing, was reportedly built in the 1820s or 1830s and owned by Arthur Power, who founded Farmington. It stood at what’s now the western edge of the First Baptist Church side lawn. See … Continue reading

Posted in Uncategorized | Leave a comment

VINTAGE POINT: Grand River gas station

1930s Farmington had a Hi-Speed gas station at Grand River and Grace (33604 Grand River Avenue), across from Thayer-Rock Funeral Home. Today, it’s Acosta Sales & Marketing. See the then-and-now slider here. Historic photo courtesy of Michael Legg (thank you, … Continue reading

Posted in Vintage Point | Tagged , , , , , , | Leave a comment