The first person buried at Farmington’s Oakwood Cemetery was a Mr. Green, the village cobbler, in 1825. For a long time, the Memorial Day parade ended at the top of the hill at the back of the cemetery, by the water tower – until the late 1950s or early ‘60s, when the veterans’ monument was moved downtown near the Masonic Temple.
Historic photo from the Farmington Community Library Heritage Room. Contemporary photo by Maria Taylor.
VINTAGE POINT is Preservation Farmington’s photo column, featuring an exclusive focus on Farmington history: a look at our city through the lens of time. Look for Vintage Point every month in the Farmington Observer and Farmington Voice and on our Facebook and Twitter pages. We also keep an archive of all past issues on our website under the Vintage Point tab.