Tag Archives: church

VINTAGE POINT: Grand River and Oakland

These three “Main Street” houses, as the caption on this old photo calls them, once stood at the northwest corner of Grand River and Oakland, one block west of downtown Farmington. The blue house at left still remains, as does … Continue reading

Posted in Vintage Point | Tagged , , , , , , , | Leave a comment

VINTAGE POINT: Our Lady of Sorrows

In 1927, when the top photo was taken, Our Lady of Sorrows Catholic Church (23815 Power Road, at left) had just started celebrating Mass in the newly built, 125-seat “Little White Church on the Hill.” The Ely farmhouse next door … Continue reading

Posted in Vintage Point | Tagged , , , , , , , , , | Leave a comment

VINTAGE POINT: Universalist church

Farmington’s little white Universalist church (old photo, at left) was dedicated on August 28, 1853 at the northeast corner of Warner and Thomas. Its tower had no bell, so the Universalists paid to share the bell in the Methodist church … Continue reading

Posted in Vintage Point | Tagged , , , , , , , , | Leave a comment

VINTAGE POINT: Farmington Foursquare

This ca. 1920 photo shows the Foursquare house (23801 Farmington Road) at the northwest corner of Oakland and Farmington, with the Salem United Church of Christ in the background. The home and the church look very much the same today, … Continue reading

Posted in Vintage Point | Tagged , , , , , , , , | Leave a comment

VINTAGE POINT: First Baptist Church

Farmington’s First Baptist Church, at Farmington Road and Shiawassee, was built in 1861 at a cost of $1,680. The intersection had been the main four corners of town until the 1850s, when Grand River became part of the stagecoach line—and … Continue reading

Posted in Vintage Point | Tagged , , , , , , , | 1 Comment