Author Archives: pres_farmington

Saving the Farmington Barn

LATEST: The “open house” to view the barn, scheduled for Sunday 2/11, has been cancelled due to a heavy snowstorm. It will be rescheduled, and we’ll post a notification when that date is set. This is the saga of the … Continue reading

Posted in Farmington barn | Tagged , , , , , , | Leave a comment

VINTAGE POINT: Grand River and Oakland

These three “Main Street” houses, as the caption on this old photo calls them, once stood at the northwest corner of Grand River and Oakland, one block west of downtown Farmington. The blue house at left still remains, as does … Continue reading

Posted in Vintage Point | Tagged , , , , , , , | Leave a comment

VINTAGE POINT: Our Lady of Sorrows

In 1927, when the top photo was taken, Our Lady of Sorrows Catholic Church (23815 Power Road, at left) had just started celebrating Mass in the newly built, 125-seat “Little White Church on the Hill.” The Ely farmhouse next door … Continue reading

Posted in Vintage Point | Tagged , , , , , , , , , | Leave a comment

VINTAGE POINT: Old Band House

A note on this photo from the Heritage Room archives tells us this 1870s Mansard house, once located at Grand River and School Street, was called the “Old Band House.” It stood at the northeast corner of Grand River and … Continue reading

Posted in Vintage Point | Tagged , , , , , , , | Leave a comment

VINTAGE POINT: Grace Hotel

Grace Hotel in downtown Farmington stood on the north side of Grand River from 1915 until 1965. Grace Insurance Agency, located on that site today, reflects the family name. Historic photo from the Farmington Community Library Heritage Room. Contemporary photo … Continue reading

Posted in Vintage Point | Tagged , , , , , , , , , | Leave a comment

VINTAGE POINT: Victorian house on Shiawassee

A note on this photo from the Heritage Room archives tells us this Victorian house, once located just west of the Baptist church on Shiawassee, was built in the 1870s by Fred Staman and demolished in the early ‘60s. Historic … Continue reading

Posted in Vintage Point | Leave a comment

VINTAGE POINT: Grand River orphanage

This three-story brick building once stood outside downtown Farmington at 34700 Grand River, just west of Oakwood Cemetery and the Hitachi drainage pond. It was built in 1922 by the Methodist Children’s Home Society and was directed by a Miss … Continue reading

Posted in Vintage Point | Tagged , , , , , , , , | Leave a comment

VINTAGE POINT: Lumber yard

Some hundred years ago, you could buy lumber and coal at the Amos Otis lumber yard, located at the site of what is now Bellacino’s on the north side of Grand River. See the then-and-now slider here. Historic photo from … Continue reading

Posted in Vintage Point | Tagged , , , , , , , , | 2 Comments

VINTAGE POINT: Grand River, south side

This downtown Farmington postcard was taken in 1948 and mailed in 1951. The brick building with double front windows, still standing at the east side of The Village Mall on Grand River, was Mac’s Five and Dime. The little white … Continue reading

Posted in Vintage Point | Tagged , , , , , | 1 Comment

VINTAGE POINT: Grand River residential

This historic house stands at 33712 Grand River, just west of Cass in downtown Farmington. It was built in 1920. Historic photo from the Farmington Community Library Heritage Room. Contemporary photo by Maria Taylor. VINTAGE POINT is Preservation Farmington’s photo … Continue reading

Posted in Vintage Point | Tagged , , , , , , | Leave a comment