Tag Archives: Grand River

Six-month review: Looking forward

Preservation Farmington was launched six months ago today. It started last fall, when several of us on the Farmington Historical Commission resigned to speak out against new city plans that threatened our downtown’s historic character. Fans of Farmington history will … Continue reading

Posted in historic preservation | Tagged , , , , , , , , , , , | Leave a comment

VINTAGE POINT: Kids will (still) be kids

Times may change, but kids will still be kids. Here, Liam and Sophie Stacey of Farmington pose on the front lawn of the Governor Warner Mansion, where Warner’s grandson William Slocum (top photo, at left) and a friend once played … Continue reading

Posted in Vintage Point | Tagged , , , , , | Leave a comment

VINTAGE POINT: Houses on Oakland

While not part of the Farmington Historic District, these circa 1910 houses on Oakland (south of Grand River, two blocks west of downtown) still show a clear throwback to their original style. Historic photo from the Farmington Community Library Heritage … Continue reading

Posted in Vintage Point | Tagged , , , , | 1 Comment

VINTAGE POINT: The Pierce house

This 1894 house at 33928 Grand River was once home to M.B. and Ernestine Pierce. He was a barber. She was a member of the Ladies’ Literary Club. Historic photo from the Farmington Community Library Heritage Collection. Contemporary photo by … Continue reading

Posted in Vintage Point | Tagged , , , , | 1 Comment

VINTAGE POINT: Grand River blacksmith shop

Around 1890, you could get your wagons repaired and horses reshod at the blacksmith shop on Grand River, just west of Farmington Road. Historic photo from Farmington: A Pictorial History Photograph Collection by Brian Golden. Contemporary photo by Maria Taylor. … Continue reading

Posted in Vintage Point | Tagged , , , | 1 Comment

VINTAGE POINT: First Baptist Church

Farmington’s First Baptist Church, at Farmington Road and Shiawassee, was built in 1861 at a cost of $1,680. The intersection had been the main four corners of town until the 1850s, when Grand River became part of the stagecoach line—and … Continue reading

Posted in Vintage Point | Tagged , , , , , , , | 1 Comment

VINTAGE POINT: Grand River Houses

In 1916, Farmington’s downtown streets were lined with residential homes—like these four, across from the Sundquist Pavilion at Grand River and Grove Street. The tree in the foreground stands in what is now Dress Barn in the Downtown Farmington Center. … Continue reading

Posted in Vintage Point | Tagged , , | 1 Comment

VINTAGE POINT: Lee Block

Around 1910, the KitchenMaster store–at the southwest corner of Grand River Avenue and Farmington Road–was part of Lee Block. In its early days, it was home to the H.W. Lee harness store. In the 1950s, it was the Oak Pharmacy, … Continue reading

Posted in Vintage Point | Tagged , , , , | Leave a comment